- Ten 1-inch-thick slices of peasant bread, cut from a long loaf
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the griddle
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano, plus oregano leaves for garnish
- One 9-ounce log fresh goat cheese, cut into 10 slices
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
How to make this recipe
Light a grill or preheat the oven to 400°. Toast the bread on a rack over moderately high heat for 3 minutes or on a baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes.
Heat a griddle or cast-iron skillet over a moderate fire or moderately low heat on the stove. In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup of oil with the olives, red pepper and chopped oregano. Lightly oil the griddle. Add the cheese slices and cook until browned and crusty on the bottom, about 45 seconds over the fire or about 3 minutes on the stove.
Place the toasts on plates and carefully set the goat cheese on top, browned side up. Spoon the marinated olives over the cheese, sprinkle with salt and the oregano leaves and serve.