Greens with Chèvre Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
The combination of goat cheese (chèvre) and walnut oil in this salad pays homage to the south of France. But the transformation into a creamy ranch-style dressing? Pure American.
More Green Salads
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- Kosher salt
- 3 ounces creamy fresh goat cheese (chèvre), at room temperature, mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 heads of Belgian endive, cored and leaves halved lengthwise
- One 4-ounce head of frisée, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 Granny Smith apple—halved, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and bake for 8 minutes, until toasted. Transfer to a plate and cool.
- Meanwhile, on a work surface, sprinkle the garlic with a pinch of salt and mash to a paste with the side of a large, heavy knife. Transfer the garlic paste to a bowl and whisk in the goat cheese, then the vinegar and water. Add the olive and walnut oils, thyme and pepper and whisk until blended.
- In a large bowl, toss the endive, frisée, arugula and apple slices with the walnuts and dressing. Serve at once.
Grapefruity Sauvignon Blanc.