Green Tomatoes with Pistachio Relish
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus overnight pickling
- SERVINGS: 4
Relishes typically contain cooked and Champagne vinegar and olive oil. It's awesome on tomatoes, but he also likes using it on fish.
Best New Chef 2010: James Syhabout
More Easy Recipes from the 2010 Class of Best New Chefs
- 1/3 cup salted roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons small capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Sea salt
- 4 Green Zebra or other ripe green heirloom tomatoes, very thinly sliced
- Small basil leaves, for garnish
- In a jar, combine the pistachios with the shallots, capers, vinegar, sugar, pink peppercorns and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with sea salt. Refrigerate the relish overnight.
- Arrange the tomato slices on plates. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Stir the relish and spoon it over the tomatoes. Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
American wine regions tend to produce softer, more fruity dry rosés than European regions, making U.S. rosés a good complement to tangy dishes like this one. Try a strawberry-inflected rosé or a wine made with the Gamay grape in California.