- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and sliced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 hot red chili, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 3 cardamom pods, husks removed, seeds crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 pounds green tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
How to make this recipe
- Warm the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic, chili and ginger to the pan and cook for about 4 minutes, letting them soften.
- Pop the cardamom seeds from their husks, and crush slightly. Add the crushed cardamom seeds, cumin, coriander and turmeric to pot and stir.
- Add the halved tomatoes cut side down into the pan, season with salt, and pour in the coconut milk. Bring to a boil, about 10 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to soften. Turn each tomato over and continue to cook for a few more minutes until tender.
- Once tomatoes are soft, transfer to a platter, season with salt, and garnish with cilantro leaves.
Rice or warm bread.