- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 2 cups
Most supermarkets sell pickled tomatoes, but those can’t compare to these supereasy homemade ones. Slicing the tomatoes thinly allows them to really soak up the wonderfully tangy brine.
- 3 small, green (unripe) tomatoes (12 ounces), cored
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Using a mandoline, very thinly slice the green tomatoes and white onion. Layer the slices in a heatproof 4-cup measuring cup. In a small saucepan, combine the water with the vinegar, garlic, peppercorns, salt and sugar and bring to a boil. Pour the hot brine over the tomatoes and onion and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, then drain and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.