- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 PINTS
- 2 pounds green tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 1/8 cups cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice, tied in a cheesecloth bundle
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- In a colander set in the sink, toss the green tomatoes with the salt and let stand at room temperature until almost all of their liquid has been released, at least 2 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse the tomato slices, then pat dry.
- In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, granulated sugar, brown sugar, pickling spice bundle and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until reduced by one-third, about 30 minutes.
- Add the sliced green tomatoes, green bell pepper and onion and cook them over moderate heat until the liquid is reduced to a thick syrup, about 2 hours. Discard the pickling spice bundle and the bay leaf.
- Pour the green-tomato mixture into 2 hot sterilized 1-pint jars, stopping 1/4 inch from the tops. Wipe the glass rims and seal the jars. Let cool and refrigerate. Alternatively, process the pickle: Set the jars in a water bath, bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the water bath and let cool completely.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.