- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 ounces soft goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups packed Boston lettuce leaves (from 1 large head)
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 300°. In a baking pan, toss the garlic with the oats, butter and honey and season lightly with salt. Spread the oats in an even layer and bake for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Spread the crunch on a plate and let cool completely, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the goat cheese, parsley, thyme, vinegar, scallion, skim milk and olive oil and blend until smooth. Scrape the dressing into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce and tomatoes with 1/2 cup of the dressing. Sprinkle some of the crunch over the salad and serve. Reserve the remaining dressing and crunch for another use.
Variations Sprinkle the garlic crunch over mashed potatoes or rice.