- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup drained brined green peppercorns
- 1/4 cup Cognac
- 1/2 cup beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the peppercorns and Cognac and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beef stock and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the cream, mustard and tamari and simmer until the sauce is thickened and reduced by one-third, about 3 minutes more. Stir in the chives, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
The peppercorn jus can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently and stir in the chives just before serving.