Green Pea Samosas (Hare Mutter Ki Samosa)
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 8 samosas
Sanjeev Chopra has advice for filling his delightful vegetarian samosas: "Mash the peas, but not too finely; you want little pieces, for texture." He makes his own buttery dough, but frozen empanada wrappers, widely available in supermarkets, are an excellent substitute.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for frying
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced seeded jalapeño
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses (optional)
- 8 frozen empanada wrappers, thawed
- Prepared cilantro chutney and tamarind chutney, for serving
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet. Add the cumin seeds and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the ginger, jalapeño, coriander and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the green peas and the water and cook until the peas are tender and most of the water has evaporated, 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and let cool slightly. Add the cilantro and pomegranate molasses and pulse until the peas are finely chopped. Season with salt.
- Arrange the empanada wrappers on a work surface and brush the edges with water. Divide the filling among the wrappers. Fold the dough over and pinch from the bottom to the center to form a cone. Fold the top of the dough down to meet the edges and pinch well to seal, forming a triangular dumpling.
- In a deep, medium skillet, heat 3/4 inch of oil to 350°. Fry the samosas over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towellined rack. Serve with cilantro and tamarind chutneys.
Austria's brisk Grüner Veltliners, which often have aromas of spring peas and pepper, are a great choice here.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.