- 1 large bunch flat-leaf parsley (about 2 ounces), tough stems removed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- About 7 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups arborio rice (about 14 ounces)
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
How to make this recipe
In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the parsley for 10 seconds. Drain and refresh in a bowl of ice water, then drain again. Transfer the parsley to a blender, add 2 tablespoons of fresh ice water and season with salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
In a saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. In another saucepan, heat 1/4 cup of the oil. Add the rice and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir until almost absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. The rice is done when it's tender and creamy but still firm to the bite, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until pink and firm to the touch, about 5 minutes.
Add the Parmesan to the risotto, then stir in the parsley puree. Spoon the risotto into bowls and garnish with the shrimp.