- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 2 1/2-pound green papaya—peeled, seeded and finely julienned, preferably on a mandoline (6 cups)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 4 small scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces inari (fried tofu skin), thinly sliced (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded pickled ginger
- In a large bowl, whisk the fish sauce with the lime juice, rice vinegar, mirin, curry paste, curry powder and vegetable oil. Add the green papaya, cilantro, scallions, inari and pickled ginger and toss well. Season lightly with salt and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
The salad can be refrigerated overnight.
Inari is available at Asian markets. Look for it in the refrigerated section.
Try an Alsatian Gewürztraminer with this dish.