Green-Chile Chicken and Pink Bean Stew
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Canned green chiles contribute flavor and heat to this thick chicken stew, made doubly satisfying with the addition of pink beans. Pink beans are similar to pinto and kidney beans, and they give this recipe a nice Latin feel.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch dice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 white onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- One 19-ounce can pink beans, drained and rinsed
- Two 4-ounce cans green chiles, drained
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a medium soup pot, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Season the diced chicken thighs with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the pink beans, green chiles and stock to the chicken and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderately low heat until the stew has thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the chicken and pink bean stew into bowls and serve with lime wedges.
Spicy Malbec from Argentina.