- One 3-pound head of green cabbagehalved, cored and coarsely shredded (12 cups)
- 1 cup Riesling
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith applespeeled, halved, cored and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the wine, lemon juice and sugar. Let marinate for 1 hour, tossing often.
In a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the cabbage and its marinade and cook over moderately high heat, tossing, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add the apples and toss well. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are just tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
The cabbage and apples can be refrigerated overnight.