- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 4 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- In a large skillet, toast the mustard seeds over moderately high heat, shaking the pan frequently, until they pop and start to brown, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Add the shallots, sherry vinegar and water to the skillet and simmer over moderately low heat until the liquid is reduced to 1 tablespoon, about 12 minutes. Add the cream and simmer over moderate heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature, then stir in the butter, mustard and toasted mustard seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the green beans until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain the beans, pat dry and transfer to a large bowl. Add the mustard-seed butter, season with salt and pepper; toss and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.