- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 pound salsify
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 4 ounces country ham, cut into 2-by-1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the beans until tender, 7 minutes. Using a wire skimmer, transfer the beans to a baking sheet to cool. Keep the water boiling.
- Squeeze the lemon into a medium bowl of water. Working with one stalk at a time, peel the salsify, slice it 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal and transfer to the lemon water. Drain the salsify and add it to the boiling water. Cook until just tender, about 4 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the pecans and salsify and cook over high heat until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Add the country ham, reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Add the green beans and cook, stirring, until hot, about 3 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated for 2 days; let return to room temperature.