Green Bean Casserole with Goat Cheese, Almonds and Smoked Paprika
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 1/2 pounds green beans
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 5 ounces fresh goat cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 3/4 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350° and butter a shallow 9-by-13-inch ceramic baking dish. In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the green beans until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and cool under running water. Pat dry and thinly slice on the diagonal. Pat dry again.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and whisk over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer, whisking constantly, until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the goat cheese. Season the sauce with salt, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of the pimentón.
- In a large bowl, toss the green beans with the sauce. Spread the mixture into the prepared casserole and sprinkle the almonds and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of pimentón over the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbling and the almonds are lightly browned. Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.