© Ditte Isager
Green Bean-and-Blood Orange Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
"Blood oranges are part of my Sicily fascination," Renato Poliafito says. He uses the segments to add color and tang to green beans and reduces the juice with balsamic vinegar to make the dressing.
More Great Salads
- 2 pounds thin green beans
- 6 large blood oranges
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Cook the beans in the boiling water until bright green and al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge the beans into the ice water. Drain again and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, peel 4 of the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections into the bowl. Zest one of the remaining oranges and juice both of them. Transfer the juice to a saucepan and add the vinegar and honey. Bring to a boil, then simmer over moderate heat until reduced to a syrup, 10 minutes. Season with salt.
- Transfer the beans and orange sections to a platter and drizzle the syrup on top. Garnish with the orange zest and serve.