Green and Yellow Beans with Pancetta Crisps
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 pound mixed yellow wax and green beans, trimmed
- 12 thin slices pancetta (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, sliced paper thin
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 pint mixed red and yellow pear or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the beans over high heat until crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the beans and pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange half the pancetta in a single layer in a large skillet and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the pancetta to a plate to cool; it will crisp as it cools. Cook the remaining pancetta; let cool. Coarsely crumble the pancetta.
- Wipe out the skillet, add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the beans and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook until nearly evaporated, about 2 minutes longer. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the vegetables to a platter and garnish with the pancetta. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Make Ahead The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Recrisp the pancetta in a warm oven or a skillet.