- 6 cups vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound arborio rice (2 cups)
- 1 large zucchini (10 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- One 1/2-pound bunch of arugula, large stems discarded, leaves coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, bring 5 cups of the vegetable stock to a simmer. In another medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion to the oil and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the hot stock and cook, stirring, until the stock is absorbed. Continue adding the hot stock, 1 cup at a time and stirring occasionally until it is completely absorbed before adding more. Continue cooking until the rice is al dente and the liquid is thickened, about 20 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the zucchini and scallions and cook over moderately high heat until just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the peas and arugula and cook until the arugula is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining 1 cup of vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the vegetables and their liquid into the risotto and cook until the rice is creamy, about 1 minute. Season the risotto with salt and pepper. Spoon the risotto into bowls and serve with Parmesan cheese.
Minerally, aromatic Sardinian white.