Greek Salad with Bulgur in Pita Pockets
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes 12 mini pita sandwiches
Tabbouleh is usually served as a side dish, but Joe Vitale transforms it into a very smart and refreshing sandwich filling. Bulgur tossed with olives, herbs and spices gets stuffed inside mini pitas, along with tomatoes and a cool cucumber-yogurt topping for a perfect, light summer sandwich.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint, plus 2 mint sprigs (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 small European cucumberpeeled, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced paper thin
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 24 Isis candy or other cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 mini pitas, top third cut off
- 4 ounces mixed baby greens
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the bulgur and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and return to a boil. Cover, remove from the heat and let stand until the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Drain the bulgur in a fine sieve, pressing to remove any excess liquid. Spread the bulgur on a plate and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Stir in the cilantro, olives, chopped mint, paprika and cumin. Add the bulgur and toss well. Season the salad with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt with the cucumber, onion, garlic and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. In a another medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the bulgur salad into the pitas then tuck in the baby greens and tomatoes. Top with the yogurt, garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.