- 1 3/4 pounds kale, large stems discarded (3/4 pound leaves)
- 2 whole-wheat pita breads
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup pitted Calamata olives, cut lengthwise into slivers
- 2 ounces feta cheese, preferably French, crumbled (2/3 cup)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the kale leaves until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Transfer the kale to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze dry. Fluff up the leaves, coarsely chop them and transfer to a large bowl.
- Brush both sides of the pita breads with olive oil and bake for about 8 minutes, or until crisp. Cut the pita into wedges.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup of olive oil with the lemon juice and crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper. Add the grape tomatoes, olives and crumbled feta to the kale and toss. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Serve the kale salad with the toasted pita wedges.
One Serving 256 cal, 19 gm total fat, 4.0 gm saturated fat, 19 gm carb, 3 gm fiber.