- 1/4 cup Greek-style whole-milk yogurt
- Pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small black plum, thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 large sea scallops (1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 thin slices of prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 36 pea tendrils (1 cup)
- Light a grill. In a bowl, combine the yogurt, saffron and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the plum slices with oil and grill over high heat until lightly charred, 30 seconds per side. Brush the scallops with oil, season with salt and pepper and grill them over high heat until charred and just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Cut each scallop in half crosswise. Place a plum slice on the bottom half of each scallop. Lay the prosciutto strips over the plums, then top each one with 2 pea tendrils and cover with the scallop tops. Secure with toothpicks and put 3 on each plate. Top each scallop sandwich with 1 teaspoon of the yogurt sauce and garnish with the remaining pea tendrils. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and serve.
The Greek white grape variety Moschofilero's floral, spicy aroma and crisp texture are wonderful with these tangy-sweet scallops. Psilakis's restaurant occasionally serves the melony bottling from Boutari by the glass.