- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium Cortland apples
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk. Add the flour and salt; beat until a dough just begins to form. Transfer the dough to a work surface and roll into a log. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Cut the dough into 8 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece to a 3-inch round. Transfer the rounds to eight 4-inch fluted tartlet molds with removable bottoms. Press the dough into the molds and up the sides. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
- In a mini food processor, pulse the almonds, flour, light brown sugar and zest until the almonds are coarsely chopped. Add the butter; pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Coarsely grate the apples and squeeze out the excess liquid. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the sugars, lemon juice, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Using a fork, fill the tart shells with the apple mixture, leaving all the excess liquid in the bowl. Top the tartlets with the crumble. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet; bake for about 35 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned. Serve.