Grapefruit-and-Fennel Salad with Lemon-Wasabi Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
For an invigorating crunchy-sweet-tart salad, Su-Mei Yu ingeniously tosses an eclectic mix of winter and early spring produce in lemon juice spiked with grated ginger and wasabi. According to Thai tradition, the lemon may ease coughs and the pears a sore throat; the kiwis may even help arthritis.
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 2 grapefruits
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and very thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 Anjou pearpeeled, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 kiwi, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice with the shallot, ginger and wasabi paste and season with salt.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the grapefruits, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a large serving bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Add the fennel, pear and kiwi to the bowl along with the dressing. Toss gently and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.