Grandma Martha's Chocolate Roll
- SERVINGS: 12
This airy rolled chocolate cake filled with whipped cream is based on a recipe from Eric Bromberg and Bruce Bromberg's grandmother and her life-long friend, Lola Gordon.
Chef Holiday Recipes Made Easy
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa, for sifting
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Candied flowers such as violets,for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter a 10-by-15-inch jelly-roll pan and line it with wax paper. Butter the paper. In a medium saucepan, melt the chocolate in the coffee over low heat, stirring constantly. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and thick. Add the melted chocolate and beat at low speed until blended.
- In a large stainless-steel bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Stir one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack. Cover the cake with a kitchen towel and let cool completely. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the towel and generously sift cocoa over the entire surface of the cake. Run a knife along the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Cover the cake with a clean kitchen towel. Place a large flat baking sheet over the towel; invert the cake onto the baking sheet and remove the jelly-roll pan. Gently peel the wax paper off the cake.
- Beat the cream until stiff peaks form, then stir in the rum. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the cake. Beginning at a long edge and using the kitchen towel to help guide you, carefully roll up the cake. Transfer the cake to a platter and sift additional cocoa on top. Garnish with candied flowers, if using, and serve.
Make AheadThe chocolate roll can be refrigerated overnight.