Gramma's Buttermilk Biscuits with Berries and Ice Cream
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Daniel Orr's grandmother, who he says was the best biscuit maker in Pike and Gibson counties, baked these to serve with sausage, gravy, eggs and ham to the hard-working farmhands during the summer. Daniel uses the same recipe to make this old-fashioned dessert.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup cold buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 2 pints strawberries (1 pound), thickly sliced
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Using a wooden spoon, stir until a crumbly dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 2 or 3 times, just until evenly moistened. Pat the dough 1/2 inch thick. Using a 2 3/4-inch round biscuit cutter, stamp out as many rounds as close together as possible. Gather the scraps, knead gently and cut out 1 or 2 more biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet. Brush the tops lightly with buttermilk and sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350° and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the biscuits are golden and cooked through. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, toss the berries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and let stand for 5 minutes. Split the biscuits horizontally and transfer the bottom halves to a large platter or plates. Top with scoops of ice cream and the berries. Replace the biscuit tops and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.