© Christina Holmes
Grain Salad with Scallion Dressing
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
This vegetarian recipe combines hearty grains with crunchy nuts, creamy chickpeas and a roasted-scallion dressing.
Slideshow: More Delicious Salads with Grains
- 2 large bunches of scallions (about 7 ounces)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas—drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Chop all but 2 of the scallions. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the chopped scallions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Roast for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the scallions are tender and lightly charred in spots.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the quinoa and bulgur together until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well and spread the grains on a baking sheet to cool.
- Transfer the scallions to a food processor. With the machine on, drizzle in the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil. Add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, bulgur, almonds, chickpeas, onion and parsley. Add the roasted-scallion dressing and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice the remaining 2 scallions, scatter on top and serve.
Make AheadThe dressing can be refrigerated overnight.