- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes 4 dozen gougères
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, butter, wine, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Add the flour all at once and beat with a wooden spoon until the dough is smooth and gathers into a ball, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let stand until cooled slightly, about 5 minutes. Beat in 1 egg at a time, beating until the dough is smooth and slightly sticky between additions. Stir in the Gruyère.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 1/2-inch tip and fill the bag with the dough. Pipe 1-inch mounds of the dough onto 2 parchment paper–lined baking sheets. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the cheese puffs are golden, rotating the baking sheets halfway through. Serve warm.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.