- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or chuck
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 thin slices pancetta
- Four 1/4-inch-thick slices Gorgonzola cheese (4 ounces)
- 4 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls, split
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Romaine lettuce leaves, tomato slices and paper-thin sweet onion slices
- Light a grill. Shape the meat into 4 patties and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Wrap each hamburger with 2 slices of pancetta.
- Grill the burgers over a medium-hot fire for about 4 minutes, or until nicely browned on the bottom. Flip the burgers and top them with the Gorgonzola. Grill for about 4 minutes longer, or until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, brush the cut sides of the buns with the butter and grill them, cut side down, until lightly toasted.
- Set the burgers on the bun bottoms and top with the lettuce, tomato and onion. Serve at once.
Beer Beer is all that's needed between bites of this rich burgera flavorful brew, such as Catamount Gold, would be ideal.