- 2 cups masa harina, preferably Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- Shredded chicken, salsa, sour cream and cotija cheese, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, mix the masa harina with the water and the 1/4 cup of oil. Transfer the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a 10-inch log; cut into 10 pieces. Using a 3-inch round biscuit cutter, mold the pieces into flat disks a scant 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a large griddle or comal (a round, flat griddle). Add the gorditas and cook over high heat, turning once, until lightly browned in spots, about 2 minutes per side. Using the back of a spoon, lightly press an indentation in the center of each gordita.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. Add the gorditas and fry over high heat until golden and crispy, about 2 minutes per side; drain on paper towels. Top the indentations with chicken, salsa, sour cream and cheese and serve hot.
The uncooked gorditas can be refrigerated in an airtight container, between sheets of wax paper, overnight.