- 3 pounds breakfast sausages or other fresh pork sausages
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds medium shallots, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Prick the sausages all over with a fork. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the sausages and cook over moderately low heat until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat. Add the shallots and wine and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are tender and the wine has reduced slightly, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
A medium-bodied white Rhône with honeyed fruit will echo the rich sausages and sweet shallots.