Golden Roasted Oysters
- SERVINGS: 12
To eat one of these delicious oysters on the half shell, drizzle lemon juice on top, then add a drop of hot sauce and slide the oyster into your mouth. And there's a surprise: the artichoke hiding under the garlicky topping.
Amazing Seafood Recipes
- 6 large artichokes, stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 4 cups fresh bread crumbs (from about 2 baguettes)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 dozen freshly shucked large oysters on the half shell
- Kosher salt, for the platters
- Sweet paprika, for dusting
- Lemon wedges and Louisiana hot sauce
- Arrange the artichokes in a large steaming basket, stem ends down. Set the basket in a large pot with 2 inches of water, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and steam the artichokes until tender when pierced with a knife, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a platter. When cool enough to handle, remove the artichoke leaves. Using a teaspoon, scrape out the hairy chokes. Cut each artichoke bottom into 7 slices, then cut the large center slices in half.
- In a large nonreactive skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the artichoke slices, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the lemon juice and oregano and stir gently. Remove from the heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- In a large bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the Parmesan, parsley, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the butter.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Set the oysters in their shells on large baking sheets, fitting them snugly to prevent tilting. Put 1 artichoke slice and a pinch of the cooked garlic on each oyster, drizzle with olive oil and mound a scant 2 tablespoons of the bread crumbs on top.
- Roast the oysters in the upper third of the oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling. Meanwhile, cover serving platters with a layer of kosher salt. Sprinkle the roasted oysters with paprika and set them on the salt. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges and hot sauce.
Make AheadThe artichokes and the seasoned bread crumbs can be refrigerated separately for up to 1 day.