Golden Roasted Oysters
- SERVINGS: 12
To eat one of these delicious oysters on the half shell, drizzle lemon juice on top, then add a drop of hot sauce and slide the oyster into your mouth. And there's a surprise: the artichoke hiding under the garlicky topping.
- 6 large artichokes, stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 4 cups fresh bread crumbs (from about 2 baguettes)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 dozen freshly shucked large oysters on the half shell
- Kosher salt, for the platters
- Sweet paprika, for dusting
- Lemon wedges and Louisiana hot sauce
- Arrange the artichokes in a large steaming basket, stem ends down. Set the basket in a large pot with 2 inches of water, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and steam the artichokes until tender when pierced with a knife, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a platter. When cool enough to handle, remove the artichoke leaves. Using a teaspoon, scrape out the hairy chokes. Cut each artichoke bottom into 7 slices, then cut the large center slices in half.
- In a large nonreactive skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the artichoke slices, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the lemon juice and oregano and stir gently. Remove from the heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- In a large bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the Parmesan, parsley, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the butter.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Set the oysters in their shells on large baking sheets, fitting them snugly to prevent tilting. Put 1 artichoke slice and a pinch of the cooked garlic on each oyster, drizzle with olive oil and mound a scant 2 tablespoons of the bread crumbs on top.
- Roast the oysters in the upper third of the oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling. Meanwhile, cover serving platters with a layer of kosher salt. Sprinkle the roasted oysters with paprika and set them on the salt. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges and hot sauce.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.