- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup salted roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 6 dried apricots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a small bowl, crumble the saffron over the warm water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, 7 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon, then add the rice and stir to coat. Add the stock, saffron and its soaking liquid and the salt and bring to a boil. Transfer the rice and liquid to a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the scallions and cook over moderately high heat for 30 seconds. Add the almonds and apricots and cook until the apricots start to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the apple and cook, stirring, just until warmed, about 1 minute. Stir the mixture into the rice, season with pepper and serve hot.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.