- 1 cup whole blanched almonds (about 5 ounces)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 30 medium sage leaves
- 11 ounces mild goat cheese, softened
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Toasted croutons, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, or until golden. Let cool, then coarsely chop the nuts.
- Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a skillet. Fry the sage leaves in 2 batches until crisp, about 30 seconds. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Let cool, then crumble.
- In a bowl, combine the goat cheese and cream cheese and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in the pepper. Line an 8-inch round cake pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 5-inch overhang; smooth out any large wrinkles. Spread half of the cheese mixture evenly in the cake pan and sprinkle with two-thirds of the almonds; press them down lightly. Scatter the sage on top, then cover with the remaining cheese; don't dislodge the almonds. Fold the overhanging plastic onto the cheese and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Unwrap the torte and invert onto a large plate; discard the plastic. Pat the remaining almonds around the edge of the torte and let return to room temperature. Serve the croutons on the side.