© Kamran Siddiqi
Gluten-Free Waffles Rancheros
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Masa harina, a flour made from corn, is added to these gluten-free waffles to give them a sweet, grainy flavor.
Slideshow: Alternatives to All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- One 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 cup Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup gluten-free masa harina
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- Crumbled queso fresco, sliced avocado, sour cream, cilantro leaves and lime wedges, for serving
- Make the beans In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic, and cook over moderately high heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce and cumin; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, cilantro and salt and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Make the waffles In a blender, combine the milk, onion, garlic, jalapeño, sugar and salt. Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high and grease with vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the masa harina and baking powder. Whisk in the eggs, butter and milk mixture until combined. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into each waffle iron square; close and cook until crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the eggs In a large skillet, heat the butter. Crack the eggs into the skillet and season with salt and pepper; cook over moderate heat, turning once, until whites are set and yolks are slightly runny, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the waffles to plates and top with the beans and fried eggs. Serve, passing the queso fresco, sliced avocado, sour cream, cilantro and lime wedges at the table.