- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- One 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 cup Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup gluten-free masa harina
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- Crumbled queso fresco, sliced avocado, sour cream, cilantro leaves and lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Make the beans In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic, and cook over moderately high heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce and cumin; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, cilantro and salt and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Make the waffles In a blender, combine the milk, onion, garlic, jalapeño, sugar and salt. Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high and grease with vegetable oil.
- Make the waffles In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the masa harina and baking powder. Whisk in the eggs, butter and milk mixture until combined. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into each waffle iron square; close and cook until crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the eggs In a large skillet, heat the butter. Crack the eggs into the skillet and season with salt and pepper; cook over moderate heat, turning once, until whites are set and yolks are slightly runny, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the eggs Transfer the waffles to plates and top with the beans and fried eggs. Serve, passing the queso fresco, sliced avocado, sour cream, cilantro and lime wedges at the table.