- 1 cup white rice flour, plus more for dusting
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
How to make this recipe
- In a food processor, combine the rice flour, potato starch and xanthan gum and pulse until well mixed. Add the butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add the egg and 2 tablespoons of the ice water. Pulse a few more times until the dough clumps together. If necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and form it into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Place it on a work surface covered with a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper. Dust the dough with rice flour and cover with another sheet of parchment. Roll out the dough to a 12-inch round. Peel off the paper and fit the dough into a 9 1/2-inch tart or pie pan. Patch any holes with excess dough.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350°. Fill the pie with the fruit of your choice and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is caramelized and the crust is golden brown.
Contributed By Phoebe Lapine Photo © Phoebe Lapine