© Kamran Siddiqi
Gluten-Free Pepperoni Pan Pizza
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2 nine-inch pizzas
These gluten-free personal pizzas have a perfectly chewy crust. Look for the ingredients in this recipe at well-stocked health food stores.
Slideshow: Perfect Pizzas
- 160 grams (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) cornstarch
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) potato starch
- 80 grams (1/2 cup) rice flour, plus more for dusting
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) sorghum flour
- 53 grams (1/2 cup) golden flaxseed meal
- 27 grams (1/4 cup) raw organic rice protein powder, such as Growing Naturals
- 18 grams (2 tablespoons) psyllium husk powder
- 10 grams (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 9 grams (1 1/2 teaspoons) salt
- 3 grams (1 teaspoon) xanthan gum
- 30 grams (2 tablespoons) granulated sugar
- One 8.75-gram package active dry yeast, such as Hodgson Mill
- 500 milligrams (1/8 teaspoon) vitamin C powder
- 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup store-bought or homemade pizza sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 40 small slices gluten-free pepperoni
- MAKE THE DOUGH In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, mix the cornstarch with the potato starch, the 80 grams of rice flour, the sorghum flour, flaxseed meal, rice protein powder, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, granulated sugar, yeast and vitamin C powder.
- Fit the mixer with the paddle, and with the machine at low speed add the water, eggs and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, mixing until combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat the dough for 3 minutes until elastic and smooth. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Divide the remaining 6 tablespoons of olive oil between two 9-inch-round cake pans. On a piece of parchment paper lightly dusted with rice flour, roll out each piece of dough to a 9-inch round and transfer to the prepared pans. Cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- MAKE THE PIZZA Set a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 400º. Spread half the sauce over each dough round. Scatter the mozzarella on top, followed by the pepperoni.
- Bake the pizzas on the pizza stone for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Let the pizzas cool slightly. Transfer the pizzas to a cutting board and using a pizza cutter or serrated knife, cut each into quarters and serve.