- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup almond meal (almond flour)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated, juice squeezed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted if necessary
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1-2 lemons)
How to make this recipe
Make the cake
Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, almond meal, poppy seeds, baking powder and xanthan gum. Whisk with a fork until well mixed.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the olive oil, sugar and vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions until smooth. Stir in the lemon zest and juice. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture in two additions, mixing until just combined.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let the bread cool completely in the pan, then transfer it to a rack.
Make the glaze
In a small bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar with the lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the top of the loaf. Once the glaze has set, cut the loaf into slices and serve.