© Kamran Siddiqi
Gluten-Free Brown Sugar Monkey Bread Muffins
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 50 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 18
Silvana Nardone rolls pieces of her fantastic gluten-free bread dough in melted butter and cinnamon-sugar to make pull-apart monkey bread. The ingredients in this recipe are available at a well-stocked health food store.
Slideshow: Breads and Biscuits
- 160 grams (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) cornstarch
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) potato starch
- 80 grams (1/2 cup) rice flour
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) millet flour
- 53 grams (1/2 cup) golden flaxseed meal
- 27 grams (1/4 cup) raw organic rice protein powder, such as Growing Naturals
- 18 grams (2 tablespoons) psyllium husk powder
- 10 grams (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 7 grams (1 1/4 teaspoons) salt
- 3 grams (1 teaspoon) xanthan gum
- 30 grams (2 tablespoons) granulated sugar
- One 8.75-gram package active dry yeast, such as Hodgson Mill
- 500 milligrams vitamin C powder (1/8 teaspoon)
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Make the dough In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, mix the cornstarch with the potato starch, rice flour, millet flour, flaxseed meal, rice protein powder, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, granulated sugar, yeast and vitamin C powder until combined.
- Fit the mixer with the paddle, and with the machine at low speed mix in the water, eggs and melted butter until combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat the dough for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cinnamon-sugar coating In a small bowl, mix the granulated sugar with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set the melted butter in another small bowl.
- Line one 12-cup muffin pan and one 6-cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Dip the ball in the melted butter, roll in the cinnamon-sugar and transfer to a muffin liner. Repeat with the remaining dough, butter and cinnamon-sugar, filling each muffin liner with 3 dough balls.
- Cover the muffin pan loosely with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until the dough balls are doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 425º.
- Bake the monkey bread muffins for about 20 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.