© John Kernick
Glazed Carrots with Cardamom and Ginger
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 12
Most people cook carrots in water, Shawn McClain says, which dulls their flavor. His secret to keeping them supertasty is to cook them in carrot juice and orange juice until glazed.
Chef Holiday Recipes Made Easy
More Holiday Vegetable Recipes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cardamom pods
- 3 pounds carrots, sliced on the diagonal 1/3 inch thick (you can also use baby carrots left whole)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh carrot juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the ginger, garlic and cardamom and cook over moderate heat until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and sugar and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot and orange juices and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with parchment paper and a tight-fitting lid and cook the carrots over low heat until tender, about 12 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderate heat until the carrots are glazed, about 5 minutes longer. Discard the ginger and cardamom pods, transfer to a bowl and serve.
Make AheadThe carrots can be refrigerated overnight. Rewarm before serving.