Glazed Carrots with Cardamom and Ginger
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 12
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cardamom pods
- 3 pounds carrots, sliced on the diagonal 1/3 inch thick (you can also use baby carrots left whole)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh carrot juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the ginger, garlic and cardamom and cook over moderate heat until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and sugar and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot and orange juices and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with parchment paper and a tight-fitting lid and cook the carrots over low heat until tender, about 12 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderate heat until the carrots are glazed, about 5 minutes longer. Discard the ginger and cardamom pods, transfer to a bowl and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.