- 3 pounds carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the carrots and cook until they start to soften, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter in the chicken stock. Add the blanched carrots and season lightly with salt. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Uncover the carrots and cook over moderately high heat, without stirring, until they are golden brown on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Season the carrots with salt and pepper. Transfer them to a shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle with the thyme and serve.
The carrots can be blanched and refrigerated overnight.