- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 3 beets (about 3/4 pound total)
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig
- Twelve 4-by-2-inch slices of dense whole-grain bread, brushed with olive oil and toasted
- 1/2 pound burrata cheese, cut into 12 pieces
- 12 small watercress sprigs
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Flaky salt, such as Maldon, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, cover the beets with cold water. Add the thyme sprigs, black peppercorns and red wine vinegar and bring to a boil. Simmer, partially covered, until the beets are tender, about 45 minutes, replenishing the water if necessary. Drain the beets, then peel and cut them into 1/4-inch dice.
- Return the diced beets to the saucepan. Add the sherry vinegar, sugar, rosemary sprig and 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat until a syrupy glaze forms, about 12 minutes. Discard the rosemary sprig and season the beets with salt.
- Top each whole-grain toast with a spoonful of the glazed beets, a piece of burrata and a sprig of watercress. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, garnish with the flaky salt and serve.
Rosé Champagne has a nice richness that goes well with beets—plus, the colors match. Try the NV Fleury Brut.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.