Glazed Baby Beet and Carrot Salad with Cumin Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Gramercy Tavern salad. Here, she uses honey to glaze baby carrots and two kinds of baby beets; a cumin dressing adds to the Middle Eastern flavor.
More Great Salads
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 baby golden and chioggia beets, peeled and quartered
- 8 baby carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 cups mixed baby lettuces, such as Bibb, lolla rossa, red salad bowl, red oak leaf or little gem (12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, preferably French (2 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the beets and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring once or twice, until the beets are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the honey and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly glazed, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar into the skillet along with the cumin, then pour over the vegetables. Let cool slightly.
- Add the baby lettuces and feta to the vegetables and toss. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve right away.