Gingery Soymilk Chai
- ACTIVE: 5 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 3 1/2 quarts
Chai is a classic hot Indian drink made with tea, milk, cardamom and cloves. But this is not your typical chai; even the tea is optional.
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1/2 pound fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 quart vanilla soymilk
- 8 black-tea bags (optional)
- Sugar or honey, for serving
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, ginger, cinnamon and peppercorns to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain into a heatproof bowl and discard the spices. Wipe out the saucepan and return the liquid to it. If using tea, add the soymilk and tea bags and bring to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Discard the tea bags and serve hot with sugar. If not using tea, add the soymilk, bring to a simmer and serve hot with sugar.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.