Gingery Pickled Radishes
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN Plus 24 hr pickling
- SERVINGS: Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
Tangy, crunchy Andrea Reusing says. "When you're making your own brine, taste it first. If it seems unbalanced, it likely doesn't have enough salt."
Linton Hopkins: Quick Pickles
More Pickled Vegetables
- 2 bunches round, red radishes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 Thai chiles, halved lengthwise
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- Trim the radishes, leaving about 1/2 inch of the stems. Halve the radishes lengthwise and transfer to a 2-quart glass jar.
- In a saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to a boil, stirring. Let cool to warm, then add the garlic, chiles and ginger. Cover the radishes with the brine. Let stand until the brine has cooled, then cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days.