Gingery Creamed Kale and Cabbage
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 12
To balance the heartier dishes on his menu, Marcus Samuelsson stirred ginger and turmeric into this vegetable side dish to give it a kick, then added cream and buttermilk to smooth and soften the spicy flavors. This easy recipe can be made well ahead of time and would be fantastic with any kind of feast—including Thanksgiving.
- 3 pounds kale, tough stems discarded
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound green cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt the water. Add the kale leaves and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the cabbage, ginger and turmeric and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, cover and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cream has thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the kale, season with salt and cook for 3 minutes, stirring a few times. Remove from the heat and stir in the buttermilk. Bring to a simmer and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.