- 3 pounds kale, tough stems discarded
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound green cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
How to make this recipe
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt the water. Add the kale leaves and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the cabbage, ginger and turmeric and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, cover and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cream has thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the kale, season with salt and cook for 3 minutes, stirring a few times. Remove from the heat and stir in the buttermilk. Bring to a simmer and serve.
The kale can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat it gently and stir in the buttermilk shortly before serving.