- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, white pepper, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add the granulated and brown sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and molasses. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until blended. Form the dough into a 10-inch disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line several cookie sheets with parchment or wax paper. Roll tablespoons of the dough into 1-inch balls and arrange them about 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake on the upper and middle racks of the oven for about 15 minutes, or until browned and set; shift the pans halfway through baking. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets.
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.