Gingered Broth with Shiitakes and Watercress
- SERVINGS: 4
For the most vivid color and flavor, add the watercress to the chicken broth just before serving.
Warming Soup Recipes
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger—peeled, sliced into coins and lightly smashed, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch watercress (6 ounces), stems discarded and leaves reserved
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock with the smashed ginger and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Strain out the smashed ginger pieces.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet until shimmering. Add the shiitakes and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and just beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the minced ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir the shiitakes and watercress into the soup. Ladle into shallow bowls and serve.
A snappy, fruity Australian Riesling would be a lovely partner to the earthy shiitakes and a nice contrast to the peppery watercress in this soup.